Sunday, July 8, 2018

Fuse Lake

There isn't much to say about this hike, except that it is adorable! Only 2.6 miles to the lake, but that's about all I needed, as I was still feeling my muscles from the Stuart Peak hike two days earlier. 

To get here, you can go through Phillipsburg, or Hamilton. I chose Hamilton, as driving down the Bitterroot is beautiful and makes me a happy girl! Just past Hamilton, take 38 towards Skalkaho Falls. After the falls, it's another 7 miles to the trailhead. It's on the left and marked by a sign that just says 12. There's plenty of parking. I believe it may be shorter coming from Phillipsburg, by just a little bit.

There is little elevation gain as you go, so it isn't difficult. However, it is a pretty rocky trail, so running would be a ridiculous thing to do to your ankles! Make sure you bring your fishing pole, because this is, from what I've read, one of the few places in Montana that has grayling in it. And they were jumping all over the place, in the middle of the day! Jeff tells me it's the first time he's ever caught a grayling, so he was pleased. Not very big, but squirmy little guys! There are also several camping spots, so I may have to revisit this for an over-nighter. 

I just love seeing these on my hikes. I wish I could
bring a bunch home with me!


One of the camping spots

The firepit amongst some stone seats



Xena, thinking Jeff is throwing a toy for her


You know you're at a Montana mountain lake when the
water is this crystal clear

Reeling in the first grayling

Check out that dorsal fin!

Me, doing my usual goofy thing

Don't know where this other trail comes from, but may be another to try

Maybe, don't walk around the lake without shoes, all
this pitch ended up sticking to my socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment