Friday, July 27, 2018

Bass Lake

The Bass Creek Trail is rather popular, with hikers and horses, so it's easy to find just between Florence and Stevensville. I'm not sure how many people end up going all the way to the lake, as I was the only one there on this day. I passed several people in the first two miles or so, but that was it on the way up. I had read that the lake was anywhere from 7.5 miles up, to 10 miles up. I felt like the most believable one I read was 9 miles, so that's what I was prepared for. 

This is a pretty gentle elevation gain for the first three miles, then there was about a mile of steep, rocky trail. Then it went back to gentle, then the last mile a little steeper and rocky again, but not too terrible. When you come to an open meadow, about two miles from the lake, you can see a waterfall in the distance. This is coming straight from the lake, and I always enjoy seeing my destination in the near future, although, I didn't actually know it at the time. When taking a full day to hike, I start thinking about how long it's going to take to get back, and I was wishing for a little less than 9 miles. Imagine my surprise when I got to the lake at 7.76 miles in. It is like getting a present in the middle of the week, for no reason at all! I was a little more ecstatic than I probably should have been! And, aside from cresting the top of a mountain and seeing glorious mountains as far as the eye can see, getting to a cool, clear lake, surrounded by mountains, is just about the next most beautiful thing, ever!

I spent a little time here, splashing in the water, letting my dog play in the water (she likes wading, not swimming) and checking out some of the campsites. I felt like I could've walked all the way to the other end of the lake, but like I said, I was happy it was only 7.76 miles in. It was a hot day, and after dunking my shirt in, and putting that nice, cool garment back on my body, we were ready to turn back. On the way down, I met up with a couple hanging out where I had had to take my shoes off to cross the creek. He asked about the meadow, as that was as far as they had gone. I told them it was only another, maybe two miles, and how beautiful it was. He seemed bummed at first, then decided it would be another day he'd have to get there. His girl looked exchausted, and none too excited to try it again! And as I took my shoes off to cross the creek, he pointed out the logs just a bit down, where you can cross. Oh, well, too late, and I'm a little clumsy on the logs, so this was just as good!

So, although I'm a bit sad about not getting to very many new peaks this year, I've decided the mountain lake hikes are pretty rewarding. Also, my dog gets ridiculously hot, so staying along a creek the whole way, she tells me, is just right for her!

Looking up towards Little St. Joe

St. Joseph peeking through the trees

Creek crossing



Snow capped mountains are just the shizzle



Proving I'm actually here and not just stealing pictures. My vanity takes a great
hit when hiking!


Xena, in her happy place


The scenery on the way back isn't too ugly, either

I didn't download the navigation app before I was out
of cell range, so this is what I saw

The final specs, after getting back in cell range

No comments:

Post a Comment