Saturday, July 7, 2018

Big Creek Lake

Big Creek Lake is the largest alpine lake in the Bitterroots, from what I've read, but in order to appreciate that, I suggest going later in the summer than I did. I went on June 12th (so this post is a little behind) when the water was raging and I was too worried to cross the berm to see the rest of the lake. Not to worry, it was still a gorgeous day, a gorgeous hike, and a gorgeous lake!

From 93, take Bell Crossing. In a half mile, take a right. Follow the road up (it takes another 90 degree turn to the left) past a few houses. There is a junction but has a sign. The left takes you up to another wonderful hike-Glen Lake and Glen Lake Peak-but take the right down to Big Creek Trailhead.

The hike to Big Creek Lake is all of 9.6 miles, but it has a mild elevation gain, so is not as arduous as it sounds. The first time I attempted this was still too early in the season. After less than 7 miles, I came to a point where the trail was under too much water and snow to go on. I still tried, mind you, but I got hopelessly ripped up by trees trying to find where the trail went, and just plain lost the trail all together. The great thing about that day was that aside from seeing a TON of moose droppings, I actually saw a moose! My dog, Xena actually scared it, and as it was tromping away, I grabbed my bear spray, thinking I was seeing the biggest bear of my life! As I recognized the lines of an obvious moose, I only calmed down when it was out of sight...a moose could kill me just as easily as a bear!

This second attempt at the lake, there was a lot less of the moose droppings, and although I'm pretty sure I heard one yell at us from the creek, I didn't see it. What I did see, at about 3 miles in, was a very fresh bear paw track. I knew it was fresh because it rained the night before, and although I saw a lot of fresh horse droppings along the way, which was probably from the week end, I didn't see a single horse track...the trail was pretty smooth from the rain. 


At this point, I did a lot of loud talking. You know, "Hey, bear, I'm just walking through! I don't want to get in your way or anything, just enjoying a hike!" I'm not sure why this makes me feel better, but it does. I talked to my dog a bunch, did some singing (aren't you glad you weren't there to hear that!) and generally calmed myself down after a bit. I didn't see a bear, and I always appreciate that!

At the last mile or so, you can see where the lake is. There are a few water falls you can hear all around you, and maybe that's because I was there so early and there was still quite a lot of snow in the mountains, but I suspect you can hear them all year round, as there is a fork in the trail where I'm guessing the left one takes you to one of them. Take the right one to get to the lake. The lake is tucked up in this perfect bowl, which I didn't get a very good picture of:


The trail winds up to the lake, and at the end, there is quite a lovely little man made stairwell....which suddenly seems to go on forever! This is really the only elevation gain you can feel, as you head up.



I will stop rambling now, and just show you all the pictures!

This is where I stopped the last time....the trail was
still a bit wet.












No comments:

Post a Comment