Monday, September 28, 2015

Illinois Peak

This is a great way to enjoy a little peak bagging if you're a beginner. However,  I will say, the drive in is verrrrry long!  24 miles up Cedar Creek Rd., off I-90 at the Superior exit. A dirt mountain road that isn't especially fun, although it is a good road, just time consuming.  The journey is 4.3 miles up, with only an elevation gain of 1709 feet. I feel like I have to explain this, though.  The actual altitude gain from the beginning of the trail to the peak is just over 1200 feet. There are a few ups and downs on this trail, as you will see on the graph, which makes my navigation app add the ups as extra elevation gain.  I feel like this is justified in my overall elevation gain numbers. Either way, this was what I would consider on the easy side of hikes.  The great thing, though, and as usually is the case, is the beauty along the way! The hike traverses back and forth between several mountains, from one side to the other, which changes the scenery frequently. It's a lot different than just walking up a ridge line, which I've just realized, keeps your views pretty much the same.  And being able to do this in very late September is a wonder!  The colors are phenomenal right now, and we have had virtually no precipitation, which means I can still climb high without having to worry about boots and extra clothing.  In fact, the temperature is unseasonably warm, and I just couldn't ask for more. Hope it stays this way for another month or two before it just dumps on us!

You'll want to park when you see this sign.  The road acutally keeps going.  Probably to Idaho.
Be sure you walk up the trail that is left from the Stateline Tr. No. 738 sign.  I almost started walking up the wrong way, which would have made it a frustrating day.  The sign to follow (on the left) acutally shows the Illinois Peak trail to follow.

Missoula Lake.  Not sure why it's called that when it's so close to Superior.
Saw a LOT of elk tracks...wish we had seen an elk!


Another lake we walked by.  I believe it's one of a trio called Oregon Lakes.
Still have the sweatshirt on....it's a touch chilly in the mornings!









 
From the graph on the right, you can see how there were some ups and downs, which accounts for the altitude gain numbers. And, I was pretty pleased at the ease of it all, as my thighs were still burning from running down Little St. Joe Friday!


Thanks, again, for joining me on my journey! 









No comments:

Post a Comment