Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Holloway Lake (As well as Duffy Lake and Peterson Lake)


I haven't been to a new peak in a while, but decided a new lake was worthy, as there is still enough snow up here to make me think twice. I'd been to Peterson Lake last year, and wanted to hit the third lake on this trail....Holloway Lake. The elevation gain/loss/gain made it a rather good work out both ways.  I'm thinking it was about 15 miles roundtrip, but I didn't record it as usual, because I knew there was a trail the whole way....and my phone is aging and it's about time to upgrade...even with an extra battery in tow, I needed all the juice I could get. 
This is the Sweeney Creek trail, and it's easy to find off Hwy 93, just south of Florence. The road up is only about 6 miles, but it's pretty rutted, so there's your forewarning. The first part of this hike makes me so happy because it's right next to Little St. Joe and St. Joseph Peak, which I have a warm spot in my heart for. Beautiful the whole way! After a couple miles of uphill climb, you'll head down toward Peterson Lake. You could skip it alltogether where the trail splits and heads up...but why would you? Some camping spots at Peterson Lake make it seem like a perfect sleep over. However, I strongly suggest bug spray. I brought it, but apparently missed my upper back, which was exposed, and ended up with a good 10-12 mosquito bites.
You head back up towards Duffy Lake. I thought I had made that, but after walking more, realized there is a smaller lake (pond?) next to Duffy Lake. I got a bit turned around here, and actually started heading back down, before I realized I wasn't going towards Holloway. After a quick check or two on my navigation app, I got back on the right trail to Holloway. I had to cross a beautiful waterfall close to the top, which ended up getting my feet quite wet, but it was a hot day, and they dried quickly. I also had to navigate around some snow, but finally reached the Lake! Newest experience for me! 



I kept running into Beargrass and it left it's
pollen all over me!

First sight of Peterson Lake
The "pond"

Xena found snow!



Holloway Lake




There were still flowers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment