Monday, July 18, 2016

Eagle Cliff

So, I finally got in a NEW summit this year, although, it was only a 7547 ft. peak.  That's ok, because it was new to me, and that's what I thrive on! It is 19 miles up Dry Creek Rd., just west of Superior. Actually, I think it's in Superior, but it's the next exit down, exit 43 from I-90. Take a left off the ramp (If you're coming from Missoula, as I was) and Dry Creek Rd. is on the right, not too far down the road.  Stay on it for 19 miles. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's probably the best mountain road I've ever driven on. I could have taken my Cadillac up here. (Oh, how I miss that car!) Here's the tricky part. You can't see the trailhead from this direction, unless you're looking backwards while driving. The best hint I can give you is that there is what looks like a gated road on the left that hasn't been driven in ages. I parked here. If you start walking back in the direction from which you came, you'll suddenly see the trail sign:




Unfortunately, on this day, the forest service had not gotten up here yet this year.  The first half mile was covered in newly downed trees. Getting around, or over them, was a test in patience and a little pain management! I had to keep talking myself into going just a little more, as the trail opened up a little more every giant bunch of dead trees.


I actually read in the paper the next day how there was a planned hike up here, and to call such-and-such a number to go on it. I called and let them know how difficult that first 1/2 mile was, and it was highly appreciated! The gentleman I spoke to said he would get those USFS horses up there to get it cleared out. Wow! I hope he has that kind of pull!
So, after that first half mile, it was easy going. It was a pretty gentle grade up, and, as always, quite lovely. Mountains as far as the eye could see! It was less than a three mile hike, with an altitude gain of 1252, from 6295 ft. to 7547 ft. As you can see, not a difficult day.





First glimpse of the lakes below

Larger, closer lake: Cliff Lake, smaller: Diamond Lake



Still some snow on July 14th!





You could only see Cliff Lake from the top of Eagle Cliff





Since I felt this was a pretty easy hike, and I had time left in my day, I decided to drive down to the lakes and see how they looked up close.  It's about a 9.6 mile drive to the turn off to the lakes, then 4 miles in from there. I highly recommend it. They are just beautiful! And Cliff Lake, the longest part of that hike, was only one mile in. Although, I will say, it was quite popular. I rarely bump into people mid-week (this was a Thursday) and there were 5 or 6 cars in the parking area. They all stayed at Diamond Lake, so we had Cliff Lake to ourselves.

Daimond Lake:

                     

The hike between Diamond Lake and Cliff Lake just had the largest meadow of more different flowers than I think I've ever seen in one place. The pictures don't do it justice!




Looking back towards Diamond Lake






                             


Update! The gentleman I spoke with e-mailed me two days later and said they had cleared that first half mile of trail, and the hikers that went had a great hike! So, this should be a great hike for anyone now! YAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment