Thursday, October 15, 2015

Lolo Peak

I hiked Lolo Peak in late June of this year.  It was one of my favorites from this year, so thought this would be a worthy post. Take Hwy 12 from Lolo 3.8 miles, then a left onto Mormon Peak Rd. About 8 miles up is the sign at the trail head.  About a mile up the trail, there is another sign, where you'll want to stay on the left trail to Carlton Ridge. Once you reach the Vista Point, you'll go down the trail to Carlton Lake.  After going over the dam, you're on your own.  From here, I hiked up towards a saddle then stayed below the ridge as I worked my way towards North Lolo Peak.  Although there is a marker here, the actual high point is the Southern Peak.  Once atop the Northern Peak, it is an easy hike down, then up to the Southern, highest point of Lolo Peak.  I highly suggest coming back down in this same way.  The good thing about this hike is that you don't really need a navigation app.  You can see Carlton Lake pretty much the whole way.  My problem was coming down a different way. Since I could see the lake, I kind of made a bee line for it.  This turned out to be a bit more treacherous. It was steep and the rocks were sliding under my every footstep. I talked to God a few times, asking that this not be the day of my demise. I was almost certain I would end up at the bottom, under a pile of rock, never to be seen again! Thankfully, He didn't have immediate plans to judge my soul, and I made it down safely. If/when I do this one again, I will ignore the yen to shorten my hike, and come down the same way I went up.
The view from "Vista View"

Looking back down at Carlton Lake as I'm
getting closer to North Lolo Peak


I actually ended up hiking to the peak to the left of the saddle I was working on.  I found this lovely view of North One Horse Lake and Reed Lake. A little extra work was wonderfully rewarded!







You will find these things (above) on North Lolo Peak.  This sign surprised me, as I know the mother of Ben Riley. The dates next to their names are, I believe, the dates of their passing. Next to the dates, "Forever Free." A somber moment, indeed. 


The incredible views atop south Lolo Peak:





Frequently, there are tons of ladybugs at the summits I've visited.  I always love to see them! And it just occurred to me, last year there were also tons of mosquitos at the summits, this year, I can't recall it being an issue at all. I should really know why that is!?
Safely back down at the lake, Phew!


This hike was just under 7 miles up, with an elevation gain of 4024 feet.  I made the mistake of turning off my phone because my battery was running VERY low....so it looks like I didn't summit South Lolo Peak.  Rest assured, I got there, I just forgot my app turns off along with the phone!



No comments:

Post a Comment